Wednesday, April 14, 2004

I was alone in my office today when one of the engineers, Andrew, walked in and started looking in the stationary cupboard. He said something like "Going okay?" so i said "yeah, not bad" and he said "good". All very usual. Then there was a pause before he came out with; "Mind you, I don't really know what i would have done if you'd said no." Which was odd.

I think he was kind of pointing out how silly it is to ask someone if they're okay because "yes" is the only answer you expect.

Only, I didn't quite know what to say to that so i said "ah yes, if i'd started crying or something. ha". Then I realised that really was quite an odd thing for me to say and everything went a bit awkward while i muttered something about how it "...would have.. uh.. freaked you out". It was all quite traumatising.

And that, readers, is why you shouldn't question social rituals like just saying "yeah not bad" when someone asks you how you are.

Comments

1st comment!
arsifoofoo | 04.15.04 - 5:53 pm | #

I pity you.
Grimtooth | Email | Homepage | 04.15.04 - 6:05 pm | #