Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Birthdays

People in chat were talking about birthdays that coincide with events like Christmas and I got to thinking about it. Most people will agree that it'd probably be a bit lame. They cite reasons like how you'll only get one present to cover both Christmas and your birthday from stingy relatives, and how you don't get one day that's *just* for you.

I've always agreed wholeheartedly that sharing a birthday with something like Christmas or New Year isn't something I'd like but I think I have a slightly different reason. I'd never thought it through all that much before but I realised that I consider it a disadvantage because you'd have less days to break up the rest of the year.

My birthday is in April, it makes a nice break, something to look forward to, between New Year and Summer Holidays. If you don't have a birthday to use up somewhere else in the year, then you miss out on a whole day of non-normalacy.

Perhaps I'm not explaining this very well. I realised I think of it the same way I think about work. There's certain things that can break up the work day. Escaping the office to cover reception, texting friends, browsing worth. Now if two of them coincide, like if I get a text when I'm down on reception, I almost feel like I've wasted a bit of non-work time.

It was just pretty striking to me that I was drawing some comparison with needing to break up the *year* in the same way that I need to break up the monotony of a day at work. Worrying. I don't want my life to be a heap of boring, broken up with dots of interesting things to keep me going. Luckily, I don't think it will be.

There you go, there's some of the angst that shiva doubted I was capable of :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

but it's adult angst
dolly | 06.01.04 - 11:37 pm

Yeah, I like my birthday in May for the same reasons
Dragon60 | Email | 06.02.04 - 2:28 pm

I will never doubt your angst again
In reality, I believe that most people can have the choice of having a mediocre life that goes on at an even keel, or your "boring" life with the dots of Interesting things, but the boring parts are refered to as rest and recovery from the excitement.
Shiva-TPF- | 06.02.04 - 8:37 pm

Dawn Penguin said...

Some people I've talked to who have a birthday on or very near Christmas have a "half-birthday" in the summer, for the same reason you mentioned. For something to break up the year a little. I thought that was a neat idea.