Monday, May 10, 2004

Rambling

Some of us are cave-dwellers, some of us live in houses, some of us like to be loose footed

>_< it's looking like going away this summer isn't going to be as difficult financially as i'd thought... possibly.

The trouble is that as soon as i start browsing lonelyplanet.com or youthtravel.com i get urges to skip work tomorrow, buy a backpack, and make it to the airport by nightfall.

Unfortunately, the wait is a must. Or atleast, it's the sensible option.
It looks like the company i'm working for currently want to keep me till the end of June, and while i'm in no way oblidged to stay there, it is good money and it makes sense to keep them happy and keep the opportunity of part time work once i start university.

So, i'm planning to leave around early/mid July. I guess i'm planning to go for a month, but that does give me a buffer of a couple of extra weeks if.. well, if something comes up.

I have to be back by the beginning of September as one of my high school friends is getting married on the 4th.

And if nothing else atleast I'll be tanned on the wedding photos.

Now i just have to decide where I actually want to go. Interrailing in Europe is high on my options list now, and it seems like it's not that uncommon for women my age to do that alone and not run into too many problems as long as you're sensible. I'm just worried that maybe I'd be too shy to talk to people in hostels, and end up lonely and to scared to do stuff on my own. Honestly though, there has to be a point where you just give yourself a kick up the ass and say "hey" to a friendly looking fellow loner. I think i'd be okay... but it's just a risk to consider.

Then there's possibility of somewhere more far afield. I feel a bit silly considering more exotic places, as I have no idea what i'd actually do if i found myself in one of them. In europe i imagine i would be able to find my way around as it's much more culturally close to england than, say, Nepal (which is apparently too hot and dusty in July anyway - although you can survive on $15 a day, including accomodation)

I've considered more organised things, like "teach abroad" or group tours/bus tours that kind of thing but i'm not sure that's what i want to do really.

However, suggestions are greatfully received and I am open to all and any ideas. Really. I've got a month, some but not much cash, I want to see some stuff, and take some photos. Where should I go? : )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So you only want to go to European countries, or Western countries? Heh.

If I could go anywhere right now, I'd want to go to South Africa (or west) Africa right now. But since that's expensive, and one of those is not very close to British culture, I'd say LA. But that's just me.
Grimtooth | 05.10.04 - 7:22 pm |

http://michigan.org/
:D
Scarlette | 05.10.04 - 11:49 pm

If you do come to the US you won't have a shortage of places to stay or people to talk with. I have found travelling to bring me out of my shell, I'll talk to strangers more easily cause I figure if I say something stupid I'll never have to see them again anyway :D
dolly | 05.11.04 - 11:02 am

Trouble with america is that it's difficult to travel around. In Europe I can get this unlimited rail pass, but in america, I'm too young to hire a car
Jaymee | 05.11.04 - 12:09 pm

Venezuela has a lot of advernture tourism (the guy from Lonely Planet was here too), if you like jungles, rivers, mountains and the like. Or you can hit the beaches, there are a lot of good ones.
Wasabi | 05.11.04 - 1:03 pm

anecdote: my first trip by myself was a short jaunt to Toronto, by bus for a weekend. 20 minutes before I had to go get on the Greyhound, I was sitting in my apt. thinking, I can't do this, I can't do this.
Then I went, and had a great time! You'll no doubt make some new friends and have no trouble doing all the things you want to do.
Do Europe now! While you're young and it's close (not like it's moving, but you know) and you can enjoy traveling on the cheap.
Take enourmous amounts of PICTURES!
And when you're ready to come to America, Grim will drive you around.
Heather | 05.11.04 - 5:35 pm

a) Put up a tip jar button (you can get one from paypal), so your buds can chip in. After all, we'll get to enjoy your trip vicariously thru your pics when you get home, right?

b) Get some pepper-spray, and be friendly!

c) I'd happily kill a monk for the chance to see Nepal, even in July.

d) Say "June" again, it makes me feel all tingly.
Cyn | 05.13.04 - 4:49 pm

Go interailing Europe for sure. Make sure you get down to old Yogaslavia etc cos it's really nice down there. And don't worry, when you're travelling you turn into a different person and after a week of not speaking to ppl you just have enough and talk to anyone and everyone!

I would suggest getting a good itinerary before you leave though so that you don't end up getting to a nice beach somewhere and not leaving!

Have a good one!
BE | 05.16.04 - 9:11 am