Sunday, October 17, 2004

Urgh

I think i'm ill. My throat hurts and my neck is sore. I actaully really don't want to get sick at the moment because i don't want to miss any uni. And I'm supposed to do this project today centred around a street, and I really don't feel like going out in the freezing cold wind and occasional rain.

I haven't even decided exactly what i'm gonna do for it. We're supposed to photograph a street within a certain genre, so fine art, landscape, documentary, portrait, architecture. I could do landscape or architecture pretty easily but i want to do documentary. So i was gonna pick a place and stop people walking by and ask them to have their photo taken, and ask them a specific question and write their answer on the bottom of the prints. It's just a case of deciding where to do it, and what question.

Thought about going to the local Youth Hostel, and asking people where they're travelling to next.
Or unz suggested going to a record store and asking people what their favourite band is
Or I could wait till the evening and stop people on the Quayside between clubs and ask them something. Maybe, how much have you drunk, or are you having a good night, or something like that.

Wish i could get one of my flatmates to come with me but they're all working and anna is feeling ill too so the chances are slim, and maybe it'd be easier on my own anyway.

5 comments:

Israel Derdik said...

Feel better jay!

pineapplecharm said...

Sounds ace. Who was it who did the series on the NY subway, just handing a blank card and a big pen to people and snapping them with their slogan? Nice idea to give it a bit more structure, although you're braver than I asking drunkards in Newcastle how much they've had. They might think you're a copper.

jaymeekae said...

Gillian Wearing

pineapplecharm said...

Ah, yes. I did a brief series involving a piece of air conditioning ducting. I just handed it to people and asked them to pose. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite obscure or versatile enough so they all just sort of.. held it. Apart from one woman in a cookery class who held the ends over her boobs, which was great.

jaymeekae said...

awesome, well done on finding a way to take the words out of it. I'm going to be stealing that idea, adjusting it slightly, and pretending i've never heard of you.